Health Insurance Marketplace:
https://www.healthcare.gov or 1-800-318-2596
Affordable Care Act (ACA):
Health Help Mississippi is a non-profit organization and federally-designated consumer assistance program tha tis committed to providing assistance, resources and health educaiton to individuals,families and small businesses as they navigate the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
www.healthhelpms.org or 1-877-314-3843
United Way works for a healthier America
Whether it is a neighbor without health insurance, a victim of abuse, or someone struggling with mental illness or an addiction, United Ways are working to ensure everyone has access to affordable and quality care.
Since 2008, United Way Worldwide been working to achieve a bold, 10-year goal: to increase by one-third the number of youth and adults who are healthy and avoid risky behaviors by 2018.
Achieving our goal requires us all to become more aware of health risks and the potential effects they have on ourselves and others, starting from before birth. Working to change policies and practices, such as extending health care coverage, will enable more people to live healthier lives.
- More than 33% of children and adolescents are overweight or obese. That’s 25 million kids and teenagers.
- Children with health coverage are better prepared to learn in school and succeed in life.(1)
- The number of Americans without health insurance has increased steadily since the beginning of the century, now totaling about 47 million. More than 80% are working families.(2)
- 8.7 million children live without health insurance – more than the total number enrolled in the first and second grades in U.S. public schools. (3)
(1) Institute of Medicine. From Neurons to Neighborhood: The Science of Early Childhood Development. Washington DC: National Academies Press, 2000.)
(2) Employee Benefit Research Institute estimates from the March Current Population Survey, 2007 Supplement.
(3) Compiled by the State Health Access Data Assistance Center (SHADAC), University of Minnesota School of Public Health, using data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s Current Population Survey 2007.